Assistant Head Gardener
Picton Castle and Gardens is a 40-acre Royal Horticulture Society Partner Garden nestled in the heart of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Picton Castle has one of the finest gardens in Wales with nationally important plant collections. A £1.2 million restoration of the Walled Gardens and creation of a new Heritage Centre is due to be completed in 2021. This is an exciting time to join our team and you will be at the heart of the redevelopment of one of Wales’s most prestigious gardens.
What you will be doing
You will have hands-on responsibilities to ensure the highest standards of horticultural practice and presentation of the gardens. You will play a lead role in the day-to-day management of garden activities, proactively identifying maintenance needs and creating work plans. You will work closely with the gardening team and act as a deputy to the Head Gardener. The role will include some supervisory and administrative elements, including complying with Health and Safety standards and working with external contractors. Two important elements of your work will be the delivery of ‘on-the-job’ training and supervision of apprentices, as well as managing and supervising the rota of volunteers who assist the gardening team. The role will have an important input into the delivery of new garden developments. You may be asked to occasionally lead tours of the gardens with visitors or present horticultural courses.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a person who is enthusiastic, self-motivated to fulfil the current operational requirements of the garden and to be pro-active in garden development. You will have a good knowledge of plant identification and care, and good practical skills in soft landscaping and all aspects of grounds maintenance. A willingness to undertake occasional duty management shifts (for example watering or after hours mowing) and occasional weekend work for events.
Education & Qualifications
- NVQ Level 3 or equivalent, RHS Level 3, HND, OND, City & Guilds in Horticulture
- Full UK driving license
- Manual Handling
- At least five years relevant experience in horticulture
- Demonstrates comprehensive plant knowledge
- Experience of a wide range of the use and maintenance of garden machinery
- Experience of working with trainees and/or volunteers
- Clear understanding of the relevant Health and Safety legislation
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated and focused
- Able to work well in a team
- Dedicated to excellent visitor care
- Enthusiasm for gardening
- Competence in use of chainsaws, holding relevant certification
- Weed control / herbicide accreditation
- Working at Height qualification
- 1 years supervisory experience
- Experience of working with contractors
- Experience of supervision of trainees/volunteers
- Experience of Risk Assessments
Please send your CV (including names of 2 references) and covering letter via post or email to the address below.
Assistant Director Picton Castle Trust
Please feel free to contact us with any questions about the post.