Full-time, permanent position: Salary: £18,525
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team, in one of the finest historic gardens in Wales. We are an RHS Partner Garden, with a nationally important plant collection and have recently completed a £1.1 million restoration of our walled garden. We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated gardener to help maintain the garden to the highest standards.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Your main area of work will be in the wider estate maintaining the grounds, extensive lawns and woodland gardens. The work will include mowing, strimming, woodland management (including chainsaws and chipper), planting, weeding, hard and soft landscaping as well other work in the specialist gardens. The role requires a willingness to work outdoors all year and is physically demanding at times. You will need to work closely with the rest of the gardening team, including apprentices and volunteers. There will be occasional weekend work for events and as part of our weekend watering rota.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an ‘estates-type’ gardener, with knowledge and/or experience of maintaining woodland gardens and good practical gardening skills. You must have experience of working with a wide range of garden machinery (such as mowers, strimmer’s, garden tractors, chainsaws and chippers). You must have the ability to be work independently, a willingness to work out of doors in all weathers and at least a basic knowledge of plants. An appreciation for customer care and service is also important.
This is a permanent, full-time position. Employees are entitled to enrol in the Trust’s pension scheme and there is a generous holiday entitlement.
Education & Qualifications
- Minimum 3 x GCSEs A*- C (including English & Maths)
- Full UK driving license
- 1 year prior professional experience in a relevant industry (such as a large garden, grounds maintenance, landscaping, country-side management or arboriculture)
- Basic plant knowledge
- Knowledge of basic health and safety in the use and maintenance of a wide range of garden machinery
- Enthusiasm for gardening
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Self-motivated and focused
- Able to work well in a team
- Dedicated to excellent visitor care
- Applicants must be over 18
Education & Qualifications
- NVQ or Level 2 (or equivalent) in horticulture, arboriculture or related industries
- Certification in chainsaw use
- Weed control / herbicide accreditation
- Minimum 2 years relevant professional experience in either horticulture, woodlands & grounds maintenance or a related industry
- Good plant knowledge and an understanding of plant cultivation
- Basic understanding Health & Safety regulations
- Written or spoken Welsh
For further enquiries or to apply please send your CV and covering letter to:
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS – Friday 22nd October 2021
Please include the names of 2 referees in your application.