Picton Castle Gardens – Horticulture Apprenticeship
Full-time, 2 year fixed term.
Closing Date for Applications: 11th July 2022
Picton Castle Gardens is a 60 acre Royal Horticulture Society Partner Garden nestled in the heart of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. Picton Castle has one of the finest gardens in Wales with nationally important plant collections including rare conifers, roses, herbs, rhododendrons, myrtles, ferns and exotics. A £1.2 million restoration of the Walled Gardens, with a glass house, planting areas, visitor facilities and Heritage Centre has been recently completed.
We are offering an apprenticeship for an enthusiastic and motivated individual who wants to start a career in horticulture. You will be provided with extensive on-the-job training and support 4 days per week at Picton Castle Gardens. You will work under the supervision of our Head Gardener and his team in the full range of activities undertaken in the gardens. You will also study 1 day per week for your Royal Horticultural Society Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture at Coleg Sir Gar (travel expenses will be paid).
This is an exciting time to join our team and you will be at the heart of the gardening team at one of Wales’s most prestigious gardens.
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs at grades A* – C, including Mathematics and English.
- Candidates should not be educated to Degree Level.
- An interest and enthusiasm for learning, and the determination to develop a career in horticulture.
- Evidence of some previous interest in gardening.
- The organisational ability and motivation to follow a work and study schedule.
- Ability to work effectively both individually as well as co-operatively as a member of a team, and with volunteers.
- Good communication skills: oral, written and interpersonal with a sense of customer focus.
- The physical capacity to work out of doors, in all seasons and to undertake strenuous physical tasks.
- Ability to work accurately (for example, in relation to plant records and labelling) and to follow instructions.
- Awareness of Health and Safety in a day-to-day context.
- Due to Picton Castle Gardens’ location and the need to travel for study, applicants must have access to their own transport.
- Applicants must be aged 18 – 23 years.
- 5 GCSEs at grades A* – C, including Mathematics and English.
- Fluency in written and spoken Welsh.
- Genuine interest in the mission and purpose of the Garden and enthusiasm for contributing to development of its spirit, reputation, and ethos.
- National Minimum Wage for Apprentices (the hourly rate depends on individuals age).
- Access to a workplace pension
- Picton Castle Gardens Charitable Trust will cover the course fees and travel costs to attend the weekly study day.
Applications via CV and covering letter.
For more information or to send your application please contact:
Telephone: 01437 751326